There are Churches almost everywhere but there are only a few Churches that are following the biblical truth. There are also places you cannot find the existence of a church at all. What do you do in that kind of situation? Would you hide or practice your christianity in your heart? No! You can set up a fellowship or a local church in your house or a designated meeting place.
Also many Christians who live in place Churches exist are in search for the truth but have been disappointed because, in most cases, what they see from afar as Churches of Jesus Christ are either lukewarm or the synagogues of Satan from a closer look. Some persons have decided to read their Bible at home or worship online, while some have gone to the extent of backsliding from the Faith. Though God does not change many Christians have decided to change their God because even though they know the truth they deny the only true God in their worship and in their living. In their lives the Scripture is fulfilled in these current perilous times:
3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. 6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.” (2 Timothy 3:1-8).
THE TRUE MEANING OF THE CHURCH
The Greek word ekklēsia, literally “called out” or “called forth”. It refers to all who have been called by God out of the world to be a part of and heirs of the Kingdom of God. The Church is one, apostolic and universal. The Church of Jesus Christ is not denominational but it is the Body of Christ.
“For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.” (Romans 12:4-5).
“Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.” (1Cor. 12:27).
Watch This video, which has some teachings on this same topic
EXAMPLES OF CHURCHES MEETING IN HOMES.
Having known that the Church of Jesus Christ is not just a Church building but the spiritual Body of Christ worldwide let us look at some examples of Churches that existed in biblical times that were meeting in homes:
- “The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house” (1Cor. 16:19).
- “Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.” (Col. 4:15).
- “And to ourbeloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the church in thy house” (Philemon 1:2).
The followings were Churches that were meeting in the homes of believers. These perilous times the Christian Faith could be preserved from extinction or pollution in places where there are challenges of persecutions, lukewarmness, falling away, etc. The salvation of our souls is paramount and we must do everything possible to keep it secured.
STEPS TO SETTING UP A HOUSE FELLOWSHIP (LOCAL CHURCH) IN YOUR HOUSE
If you find yourself in a situation like that how can you worship God and make Heaven? Set up a local Church. It is not about how organised the Church looks nor the population of the congregation. It is about having a New Testament Church. Here’s what Jesus Christ said:
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. (Matthew 18:20).
Here are some tips that can help you fellowship with the Spiritual Body of Christ worldwide:
- Repentance and baptism (Acts 2:38). You must first of all accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour, repent of your sins and be baptised in water in the name of God the Father, Son and the Holy Sprit. (Matthew 28:19). If there’s nobody to baptise you in that environment then you must make an arrangement to get baptised. Baptism is very important. Without baptism you are not a member of the Body of Christ (which is the Church). In places where there is no Pastor, any baptised believer can baptise you. Once you are baptise you automatically get admitted into the universal Church of Jesus Christ.
- Continue steadfastly in the Apostles’ doctrine: After your baptism you have to continue in the Faith. (Acts 2:42). As light of the world you have to live a Christ-like life.
- Make converts: The Great Commission is our uppermost task (Mark 16:15-18). You have to make disciples wherever you are. If you have a family and they are willing to serve the Lord, good. You have to preach to them if they are not yet believers. The best way to preach is through your character (lifestyle), which is what I call “The Fifth Gospel” in one of the sermons that I preached.
- Baptise the converts into the Body of Christ: If you are baptised you are qualified to baptise new converts there are no ordained ministers there and if you cannot have access to anyone. Baptise them into Christ but after they have repented of their sins.
- Set up a fellowship in your house: Just as we read in the passages above (Romans 12:4-5; 1Cor. 16:19;Philemon 1:2). It must not be a well organised or a registered Church before Jesus Christ approves of it. Jesus Christ said: “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” (Matthew 18:20). If you are a disciple of Jesus Christ He will always be with you whenever you gather in His name. Our fellowship is with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (1 John 1:3).
- Don’t make the church stand in isolation: Remember that the Church is the Body of Christ worldwide. It is a spiritual body also, and not just a gathering of Christians. This is why you have to seek fellowship with other believers if you can. If you have the access fellowship with true Brethren/church(es) in other places. Hebrews 10:25 says, “Not forsaking assembling of ourselves together”. Remember the Church is universal and not a denominational thing.